Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bob Hieronimus

A little over a week ago I got to shoot one of the nicest guys I have met in Baltimore! Bob Hieronimus is a local renaissance man. He has a radio show about conspiracies and signs, kind of Da Vinci Code stuff. He is a painter, painting murals, art cars, canvas and seemingly whatever other surface he wants. He has written several books. Back in the day he was a musician and friend of musicians like Jimi Hendrix, The Lovin Spoonful, Bob Marley and his sons and many others.

What mostly struck me about Bob and his wife Zoh was just how nice they were. I shot with Bob for 
two days for Baltimore Magazine. The first day at his house where he does his radio show. We did the 
photos of Bob and Zoh in the radio studio. It was a very small space and it was difficult to light but they were extremely patient and we spent much of the time laughing while I got all the lights right. 

After I was done Bob wanted to know what kind of music I was into. I named a few current bands that I was really liking and then told him I really loved Bob Dylan. As soon as I said that de asked me if I wanted a T-Shirt, I kind of thought it was a joke. Bob then disappeared and came back with a Dylan, Carlos Santana concert shirt from the early 90s. That wasn't enough though and he disappeared again and came back with a book on Dylan that he said he really loved and gave it to me. Somehow the Lovin Spoonful came up and I mention that I really liked their music too. Off went Bob again and this time came back 
with a photo he'd taken of the band and it was autographed by all the members!

Day 2 we met up at one of the murals he's done and took pictures of him in front of it. He drove there 
with his art car and afterwards we went up into Druid Hill Park and shot him with his car in the woods. 
It is rare that I get this kind of time with anyone, but Bob was so patient and nice through it all and 
willing to do whatever I wanted. I figured I'd see if he wanted to grab lunch so off we went to Bob's 
favorite hang the James Joycee Pub down in Harbor East where EVERYONE knew him. After a long 
lunch of chewing the fat we finally had to get on with our days, but not before Bob gave me a big hug 
and told me to keep in touch.

Shoots like that make it impossible to not love my job!

2 comments:

  1. I love your job.

    And people with good hearts.

    As is one Daniel 'lipoon.

    I think Tawny should have a sub-brand called LIPOON. It's like a cheaper diffused line.

    Are you wearing Tawny Alipoon? Nope, it's LIPOON.

    Your Gucci mane is getting wild again, mountain-man style.

    Please cut.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hair is fine. You don't need to cut it.

    I'm glad that shoot went well, I want to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete