Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Kings of DRU HILL


Well my Dru Hill shoot has finally run so thought I'd let you see some photos. You can see the article here at Baltimore Magazine's website. It was quite the fun shoot, the guys were actually a lot of fun to work with. I had been expecting the worse and was very pleasantly surprised and got nearly 5 hours from them. 
Lot's of props go out to Nunz, Jonathan Hanson, Kristin Putchinski and Michelle Johnson for all the help! Also to Wrightway Studios for being so kind to let us shoot at your beautiful facility! 


We shot this shot in Wrightway Studios here in Baltimore. From left to right we have Tao (who I unfortunately kept pronouncing like Tao of Buddhism, but is actually pronounced "tay-o"...I think I never felt confident on that) Nokio, Jazz and Sisqo. 
I think this has become my favorite shot, I just love the studio and I think the lighting turned out really well thanks to Johnny H on the lights.  
Shot this at an abandon row house right down from Druid Hill Park in the neighborhood that most of the guy grew up in. Nokio gave one of my favorite quotes, "Just give me a paper bag and I'd feel right at home here, don't even need to have booze...just the bag."


I didn't notice it until editing but I love the sign in the top left of the picture here. 


This was shot in Druid Hill park, the namesake of the band. Sisqo told me this was the first time the band had ever been photographed in the park. He said they did however film the Thong Song Remix video here...I appreciated that little factoid. 


The magazine used this as you can see from above as the features cover shot. 


We shot in Frederick Douglass High School where Jazz and Nokio went to school and first started performing and started forming the group. Dru Hill was actually a very organically started group...so Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, 98 Degree and all the rest of you can suck it. 


It was really fun to shoot a group of guys who were so comfortable in front of the camera. Told them I needed photos that looked like they were telling stories about high school and that's what I got! 




The Crew
This photo of me also doubles as my application for whitest man alive. 






3 comments:

  1. Hi. I am the writer of the Dru Hill piece. Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your photos. The picture of Sisqo jumping is my favorite; between the two of us, we produced one swell piece. I hope to meet you next time I'm in Baltimore. You can email me at gonzales.gonzo@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Job Daniel..... Great Work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you're donning that mean-mug in the shot. b-mo fo sho!

    ReplyDelete