Friday, April 2, 2010

Project Coffee; Gerry's Goods

Project Coffee continued at Gerry's Goods, recommended to Sean and I by our friend Joel Kurz who had come into contact with the place through his work as a pastor in the area. Gerry's was certainly the least pretentious of all the places we've visited. It was simple and new. You could get drinks, packaged good and chicken noodle soup. Which between the two of us we partook in all of the above. 

Of all the places we've gone I would have to say this was where we were greeted the most. I am not sure if it was just because we stuck out as two white guys in a place where two white guys weren't the most common sight. But, I got the impression we were greeted simply because people were nice and were glad to see a place like Gerry's Goods come into the neighborhood and wanted to see it succeed. The sight of Sean and I was a sign that it could succeed. 

I had a cup of Americana, which apparently is nothing more than expresso and water. A far cry from the homo erotic blueberry hazelnut latte or whatever I had a few weeks before, but it was good. Excellent sipping over a long talk. 

On my way back to my place from Gerry's I saw this beautiful mural seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I drove by it once and couldn't resist and turned around and came back to take some pictures. I was told by Sean later this is some sort of monument to children who have been killed in the area from violence. Whatever it is, I found it mesmorizingly beautiful, especially when placed in the contract of the ghetto part of town that surrounded it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment